Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Dance Art, Mother's Dance by Chidi Okoye

innocence


Sometimes I have some questions and trying to find
answers is like looking for needle in hairs stock.
Sometimes in search of answers to questions I find faces funny and feverish.
But who cares, what do I know.
At times my questions light up their faces like match stick does to candle.
I do giggle from time to time as long as they are listening.
I must admit some times their answers doesn’t make sense to me. But having too many questions to ask, I can afford to hang on one, because it is not every time that I get them to listen.
I have wondered why some have and some don’t. I wonder why the killing of the weak by the strong.
I wonder why some people are oppressed and marginalized.
I wonder why the supremacy tension in the world.
What was the noise about equality of all?
To be honest the more I look for answers the more I find more questions.
The more I ask the more I find that some things are better left the way they are.
It doesn’t make sense but don’t ask me. They said it would make sense when I grow up.
I wonder if I need to grow up to understand why my mates call
me names. Why they say the ugly things about my parents who they don’t even know. Do I need to grow up to understand why the adult among them look funny at me when I smile to them.
I wonder why they think that their skin color is better than mine.
I wonder why they think that I shouldn’t have the good looks. I wonder why they feel so happy looking down on others.
I wonder why they think all good things are theirs.
I wonder why grandma said that I shouldn’t forget that I am a princess. Maybe when I grow up I will have answers to all these but for now the more I look is the less I see.
I will like to think that they are jealous of me.
Grandma once told me that they were naive to have given up most of their priceless possessions believing that they were nothing,
later to find most of them in the hands of their oppressors.
But that sheet isn’t going to happen to me. Nobody is going to take my princess away from me.
I have the magic wand to put my enemies to sleep.
I am the princess.


No comments: