Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Love Life Art Print by Karen Tribett

WHEN THE STEM CLEARS UP

I step out of the shower, the fan above me whirs loudlyc..youfd think I was in a helicopter for all the noise it makesc.. The mirror above the towel rack is all fogged up, but I donft wipe the steam awayc.I wait for it to clear up on its own, patiently towelling myself off, wrapping my robe around me. I walk out, towel-turban head, and make coffee. I return to the helicopter launching padc..can I shut that fan off now? Is the steam all gone? The steam hasnft evaporated yetc.. I look at the mirror, and see something appear, a secret message in a childlike scriptcc.

I brought my car in yesterday before heading off for work, for its regular three-month checkup thingie. I love my Hyundai dealership, the people that work there are fabulous. So Ifm waiting, reading the newspaper, and Kevin the service manager calls me to the counter. Roger the mechanic is with him. Inside Ifm going gUh-oh, this isnft good if both the manager AND the mechanic need to talk to mec.h So they go on to explain the work that needs to be done (front brakes are toast, back brakes need lube or whatever it is they need, an oil change needs to be done, parts & labour) along with the cost. Roger is there holding my front brake pads for me to see how worn they are (like I would know the difference between a healthy brake pad and a sick onecbut still, very considerate of him). And he has that sad puppy dog look in his eyes as Kevin the service manager explains the cost (which includes taxes). Steam fogging up the mirrorcc

Roger looks at me, sort of bracing himself as Kevin tells me the grand total, taxes included. Ifm doing my best to take it all in stride, as if Ifm used to paying this kind of money all the time, just like that. I AM an independent woman, after all, earning my own money, paying my own bills, providing for me & my children. I smile at Roger the mechanic and Kevin the service manager, and say something breezy & nonchalant, like gItfs gotta be donec.h,and shrug my shoulders while I say it. Meanwhile Ifm thinking gHOLY GEEZ!!!!!! Thatfs half my rent!h Steamy, foggy bathroom alertc.canft seec..resist the urge to wipe the mirrorc.

As the Hyundai shuttle driver brings me to work, Ifm still in a state of shock at the amount Ifll have to pay for the car. There goes Christmas spent somewhere warm. There go the kidsf mattress foundations I was going to shop for this week.

Darren the driver is one funny guy. Good thing, because I need all the comic relief I can get right now as I contemplate some kind of criminal activity to rob Peter to pay Paul. Darren is 26, stands about 5Œ in his workboots, as round as he is tall, and reminds me of a scrappy, scruffy little teddy bear. And he has the best stories ever (he should be on George Strombolopolousf The Hour). I laugh all the way to work as he recounts his hilarious days of losing his keys, finding his own wallet that he didnft know he had lost, his dreams of going back to school to get a better paying job, his worries about being hugely indebted with student loans after said job is obtained. But hefs an optimist, Darren is, and he always brings a little bit of sunshine to your day. And I take a little bit of that sunshine back to work with me as I come up with a workable solution to pay for the carfs repairs.

Steam clearing a littlecc

As Ifm calculating what I owe for the next 2 weeks, I check the calendar, then check it again: YESSSSS!!!!! October sees me getting THREE cheques, rather than the usual two. Hello Christmas holiday, hello mattresses!

Steam dissipating til itfs nearly all gonec.

Night falls, and the voice you long to hear is there, close and reassuring, asking about your day, making you laugh three seconds after you say hello, wondering what youfre reading, telling you that youfre amazing, that voice that wants to know all about you and how youfre doing. You canft see that voice yet, (are voices seeable?) but you know itfs there, you can hear itccif youfre patient, it will come. Donft wipe the mirror, be patient, it will all become clear.

Coffee cup in hand, I read the message my daughter has left for me, written on the mirror in her curly script: I love you.

I donft wipe the mirror, I donft clean itcI want to see that message again & again, each day. Even when the steam clears, I know the message that my daughter wrote is still there. Even when my children are not with me, they are. Even when Ifm faced with the unexpected, I know the answer is somewhere for me to discover. Even if I cannot see the gentle, true voice that Ifve been hearing lately, I know hefs in my heart.

Resist the urge to wipe down steamy mirrors, be patient and watch what manifests itself when the mist clearsc..

Love,

No comments: